Carve!: Sean Starwars's Three Day Woodcut Workshop
This year, May the Fourth (the unofficial Star Wars holiday) and Print Day in May (an international celebration of all things printmaking) converge for the first time, and we're thrilled to co-host the *perfect* workshop in celebration: Outlaw Printmaker Sean Starwars of Woodcut Funhouse will be teaching a 3-day workshop in multi-color block printing at Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment!
Learn to carve and print a 4-color image from multiple wood blocks, along with tips and tricks for image preparation, tool selection and maintenance, ink mixing, as well as carving and printing techniques. This workshop is open to all levels of experience.
Friday, May 3 from 6:30-9:30pm: Slideshow and talk, demonstration and image prep
Saturday, May 4 from 10am-2pm & 4-8pm: Carving blocks
Sunday, May 5 from noon-4pm: Printing
– Whatever you typically draw with (suggested 2B or softer pencils)
– Black Sharpie Marker and Red (chisel tip) marker
– Source material for drawing, including Xerox copies, if desired
– Your choice of printmaking gouges (minimum of V gouge, U gouge, recommended)
– Blank t-shirt for printing on, if so desired
– Russian birch plywood
– Assortment of colored ink
– Cleaning supplies
– There will be an assortment of cutting tools on hand for participants to borrow, but please plan to bring some of your own
About Sean Starwars:
Sean is proud to be an original member of the Outlaw Printmakers. His distinctive style and prolific work have rendered him one of the top contemporary printmakers in the U.S. Sean has an MFA in printmaking from LSU and a Graphic Design certificate from SCAD. He lives in Laurel, MS with his wife and four children, where he operates his printshop, Woodcut Funhouse.