Intro to Relief Printing
Saturday, April 14 from 10am-6pm
Create a linoleum block print from start to finish! This is the perfect workshop for beginners, or those with light experience who are wanting to further develop their skills and learn different techniques.
In this workshop, Brian Walker will teach how to make a linoleum relief block print. Learn how to get your drawing onto the block, how to outline and cut your image, and which cutting tools and techniques to use to create different visual effects. You will also learn how to properly handle oil-based relief ink, how to use the Green Pea Press etching press, and how to edition your work. We will also discuss different block printing materials, and when to use different types of wood or linoleum.
- Linoleum block
- Rives BFK paper
- Oil-based block printing ink
- Speedball linocut tool set (if selected when registering; you may bring your own instead for a $10 discount)
- Light snacks
- If time allows, we will have t-shirts available that you can use to print your own shirt!
- A single-color image, sized 4x6 inches
- Your own set of linocut tools, if you have them
- You may want to bring something to drink and a sack lunch, or plan to purchase lunch. (There are a few restaurants at Lowe Mill, or you will have time during break to make a run somewhere else nearby. We also have a microwave available for use.)
Additional info: This class is suitable for ages 12+ (must be responsible with sharp tools!). Please wear closed-toe shoes and clothing that you don't mind getting ink on.
This workshop will be held in Studio 122 at Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment.